What is involved in Category Management
Find out what the related areas are that Category Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Category Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Category Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Category Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Category Management related domains to cover and 56 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Category Management, Cash and carry, Competition Commission, Fast-moving consumer goods, Groceries Code Adjudicator, Maintenance, repair, and operations, Manufacturing resource planning, Market distortion, Point of sale, Price fixing, Private label, Retail Link, Shopper marketing, Supplier Relationship Management, Tesco plc:
Category Management Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Category Management engagements and interpret which customers can’t participate in Category Management because they lack skills.
– When placing suppliers in the matrix, you should consider the positive aspects as well as the risks. For example, could the supplier help with service innovation/transformation?
– A good starting point is to ask if there were no existing services what would we want?
– Do you provide your Clients with a clear escalation path for issue resolution?
– Do local neighborhoods or regional factors affect categories and products?
– Should a Contract Manager be appointed at the outset of the project?
– Have Score Cards and SLA s with your Critical Preferred Vendors?
– How will social media change Category Management and retail?
– What are the current and forecasted demand levels?
– What are the Seasonal Lift patterns for this item?
– Is this group of items manageable and measurable?
– How is social media changing category management?
– Meet or exceed your contractual commitments?
– How can the threats identified be overcome?
– How many providers are there in the market?
– Which providers had delivery problems?
– What is the whole life cost per unit?
– What is a Category Sourcing Strategy?
– What is the Category Management role?
– What do users of services need?
– Who are the key providers?
Cash and carry Critical Criteria:
Apply Cash and carry quality and report on the economics of relationships managing Cash and carry and constraints.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Category Management project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Category Management goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– When a Category Management manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Competition Commission Critical Criteria:
Group Competition Commission leadership and plan concise Competition Commission education.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Category Management objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Category Management ?
Fast-moving consumer goods Critical Criteria:
Infer Fast-moving consumer goods visions and adjust implementation of Fast-moving consumer goods.
– Have all basic functions of Category Management been defined?
Groceries Code Adjudicator Critical Criteria:
Guard Groceries Code Adjudicator goals and maintain Groceries Code Adjudicator for success.
– Think of your Category Management project. what are the main functions?
– What are the usability implications of Category Management actions?
Maintenance, repair, and operations Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Maintenance, repair, and operations management and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Consider your own Category Management project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– To what extent does management recognize Category Management as a tool to increase the results?
– How can we improve Category Management?
Manufacturing resource planning Critical Criteria:
Jump start Manufacturing resource planning governance and display thorough understanding of the Manufacturing resource planning process.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Category Management activities?
– Are there Category Management Models?
Market distortion Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Market distortion governance and sort Market distortion activities.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Category Management. How do we gain traction?
– Is there a Category Management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Point of sale Critical Criteria:
Group Point of sale outcomes and summarize a clear Point of sale focus.
– How do we Identify specific Category Management investment and emerging trends?
– Who needs to know about Category Management ?
Price fixing Critical Criteria:
Nurse Price fixing projects and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Price fixing results.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Category Management leaders?
– Are there recognized Category Management problems?
– What are current Category Management Paradigms?
Private label Critical Criteria:
Gauge Private label visions and mentor Private label customer orientation.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Category Management process?
– How likely is the current Category Management plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Retail Link Critical Criteria:
Canvass Retail Link strategies and figure out ways to motivate other Retail Link users.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Category Management study?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Category Management?
Shopper marketing Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Shopper marketing results and drive action.
– What are the key elements of your Category Management performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Category Management strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What instore sales drivers do you need to focus on in order to take advantage of the evolution to shopper marketing?
– How can the value of Category Management be defined?
Supplier Relationship Management Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Supplier Relationship Management risks and summarize a clear Supplier Relationship Management focus.
– Are we Assessing Category Management and Risk?
Tesco plc Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Tesco plc governance and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Tesco plc.
– For your Category Management project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Category Management processes of our organization?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Category Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Category Management External links:
Category Management – AbeBooks
Category Management Essays – ManyEssays.com
Category Management – GSA
Cash and carry External links:
Cash and Carry Warehouse
Food Service – Cash&Carry – Cash and Carry
Cash and Carry (1937) – IMDb
Competition Commission External links:
The Competition Commission South Africa – Home | Facebook
Competition Commission of Singapore
Fast-moving consumer goods External links:
Packaging in Africa: Fast-Moving Consumer Goods – Africa…
Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) Definition | Investopedia
Groceries Code Adjudicator External links:
Groceries Code Adjudicator – GOV.UK
Maintenance, repair, and operations External links:
Maintenance, Repair, and Operations | MRO Solutions | SDI
Market distortion External links:
Market Distortion – Investopedia
Market Distortion » Partnership for Open and Fair Skies
Market Distortion Definition | Investopedia
Point of sale External links:
ParTech – POS Systems | Restaurant Point of Sale Solutions
GoAntiquing! Point of Sale
Point of Sale Software & Solutions | NCR Counterpoint
Price fixing External links:
Price Fixing – girardgibbs.com
Private label External links:
Vitalabs – Private Label Vitamins & Supplements
Retail Link External links:
Retail Link TV | Retail Link 101 – US
[PDF]Retail Link Access Request Form – walmartethics.com
Terms and Conditions – Welcome to Retail Link!
Shopper marketing External links:
Shopper Marketing – Fast Company
Shopper Marketing – Location Marketing | inMarket
Supplier Relationship Management External links:
Supplier Relationship Management Portal – Agile1
Supplier Relationship Management | SRM | Epicor
Supplier relationship management
http://Supplier relationship management (SRM) is the discipline of strategically planning for, and managing, all interactions with third party organizations that supply goods and/or services to an organization in order to maximize the value of those interactions.
Tesco plc External links:
TSCDY: Tesco PLC – Brokerage Reports – Zacks.com
Tesco PLC (ADR): OTCMKTS:TSCDY quotes & news – Google …
Tesco PLC: LON:TSCO quotes & news – Google Finance