What is involved in Application Services
Find out what the related areas are that Application Services connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Application Services thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Application Services journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Application Services leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Application Services related domains to cover and 219 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Application Services, Application Services Library, Application Maintenance, Application Management, Application Portfolio Management, Application Strategy, Application Support, Application software, Best practices, Business Information Services Library, Business process, Capability Maturity Model, Change Management, Change impact analysis, Configuration Management, Connecting Process, Continuity Management, Contract Management, Financial Management, Functional Management, IT Operation Management, IT Service Management, Information Management, Information Technology, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information system, Management Process, Mathematical programming, Planning and Control, Public domain, Quality Management, Service Provider, Software Control and Distribution, Software testing, Supplier Management, Use Support:
Application Services Critical Criteria:
Coach on Application Services adoptions and improve Application Services service perception.
– When Release Mgmt for new application services is or will be integrated with your ITSM capabilities. How is it integrated?
– How is release management for new application services integrated with your itsm capabilities?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Application Services activities?
– What are the business goals Application Services is aiming to achieve?
Application Services Library Critical Criteria:
Systematize Application Services Library tasks and summarize a clear Application Services Library focus.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Application Services, including any consulting or professional services?
– Does Application Services systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Application Maintenance Critical Criteria:
Probe Application Maintenance projects and adjust implementation of Application Maintenance.
– Will Application Services have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Which Application Services goals are the most important?
Application Management Critical Criteria:
Investigate Application Management visions and point out Application Management tensions in leadership.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Application Services products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Application Services project?
– How important is Application Services to the user organizations mission?
Application Portfolio Management Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Application Portfolio Management outcomes and maintain Application Portfolio Management for success.
– In the case of a Application Services project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Application Services project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Application Services project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Application Services project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Application Services project lifecycle?
– How can skill-level changes improve Application Services?
Application Strategy Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Application Strategy outcomes and maintain Application Strategy for success.
– Is there a Application Services Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Application Services move?
Application Support Critical Criteria:
Pilot Application Support quality and remodel and develop an effective Application Support strategy.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Application Services delivery for example is new software needed?
– How can you negotiate Application Services successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Does the application support different cloud deployments and multiple providers?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Application Services Management?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Audit Application software visions and probe the present value of growth of Application software.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Application Services goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Application Services?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– How to deal with Application Services Changes?
Best practices Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Best practices quality and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Best practices results.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Application Services is underway?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– Is the Application Services organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Application Services study?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– How does big data impact Data Quality and governance best practices?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What are best practices for building something like a News Feed?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What best practices are relevant to your ITSM initiative?
Business Information Services Library Critical Criteria:
Confer re Business Information Services Library failures and grade techniques for implementing Business Information Services Library controls.
– How do we Lead with Application Services in Mind?
– Is the scope of Application Services defined?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Grade Business process goals and remodel and develop an effective Business process strategy.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Application Services processes?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– What are the disruptive Application Services technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– What are the relationships with other business processes and are these necessary?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– What is the business process?
Capability Maturity Model Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Capability Maturity Model outcomes and forecast involvement of future Capability Maturity Model projects in development.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Application Services?
– Think of your Application Services project. what are the main functions?
Change Management Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Change Management engagements and create a map for yourself.
– What steps have executives included in the Change Management plan to identify and address customers and stakeholders concerns about the specific process to be reengineered?
– Can we add value to the current Application Services decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– Does the service providers Change Management process match the customers needs?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– What are the primary barriers to effective Change Management?
– What is the latest success strategy in change management?
– When and how is Change Management used on a project?
– When is Change Management used on a project?
– What is the Change Management process?
Change impact analysis Critical Criteria:
Apply Change impact analysis management and integrate design thinking in Change impact analysis innovation.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Application Services? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How do we Improve Application Services service perception, and satisfaction?
Configuration Management Critical Criteria:
Explore Configuration Management strategies and ask what if.
– Has the organization established a security Configuration Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Will the change significantly degrade safety or negatively impact adequate protection of workers, the environment, or the public?
– Monitoring tools for wired networks do not provide the full array of features necessary for monitoring wlans. true or false?
– Does the provider extend their vulnerability and configuration management process to the virtualization platform?
– Can we answer questions like: Are all cis created as requested by the business users, with the proper attributes?
– What is the main difference between a cmdb (Configuration Management database) and a typical asset register?
– Can we answer questions like: Are design documents available and updated with the latest requirements?
– Are the design requirements for your facility or program established, documented and maintained?
– Are all requested changes to the configuration items assessed, processed and tracked?
– How do you keep a rapidly evolving codeline stable enough to be useful?
– Have you identified the types of equipment included in your CM Program?
– Which data is least likely to be used in the incident control process?
– When can the building, testing and implementation of a change begin?
– Have you identified organization interfaces within your CM Program?
– Have the boundaries for each system and process been established?
– How is the current software configuration defined?
– Can we answer questions like: Who owns a webapp?
– What are configuration items, baselines, etc. ?
– Who has a particular software version?
– What kind of reports will be prepared?
Connecting Process Critical Criteria:
Guard Connecting Process leadership and report on setting up Connecting Process without losing ground.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Application Services is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How would one define Application Services leadership?
Continuity Management Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Continuity Management quality and create a map for yourself.
– Does the Application Services task fit the clients priorities?
Contract Management Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Contract Management planning and finalize the present value of growth of Contract Management.
– Is there a view as to when the market should be re-tested for the goods/services?
– Is a disaster/back-up recovery system in place for each system?
– What are internal and external Application Services relations?
– How much does Application Services help?
Financial Management Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Financial Management leadership and look in other fields.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Application Services process?
– What is Effective Application Services?
Functional Management Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Functional Management governance and observe effective Functional Management.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Application Services process?
– How is the value delivered by Application Services being measured?
– What threat is Application Services addressing?
IT Operation Management Critical Criteria:
Focus on IT Operation Management issues and customize techniques for implementing IT Operation Management controls.
– What is our formula for success in Application Services ?
– What is our Application Services Strategy?
IT Service Management Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate IT Service Management outcomes and revise understanding of IT Service Management architectures.
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices, and why wont we?
– If the service provider is eligible for certification, then what is the scope of the processes being audited?
– In your organization, which group oversees or coordinates your it service management capabilities?
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– Does the cloud service provider require third-party providers in order to deliver services?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– How much time does it take to consolidate information into meaningful reports?
– What do enterprises really want from IT service management ITSM?
– How do we manage Application Services Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Who is most likely to drive it Service Management organizations?
– How successful have you been to date with your itsm initiative?
– Are you currently engaged in an it Service Management project?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– What are the relevant reasons for IT Service Management?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– How does this service support business activities?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– Will the customers and consumers be notified?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– What is ITIL?
Information Management Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Information Management projects and interpret which customers can’t participate in Information Management because they lack skills.
– Consider your own Application Services project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What is the difference between Enterprise Information Management and Data Warehousing?
– How is Business Intelligence and Information Management related?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Discourse Information Technology risks and correct Information Technology management by competencies.
– Think about the people you identified for your Application Services project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do your measurements capture actionable Application Services information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Investigate Information Technology Infrastructure Library visions and perfect Information Technology Infrastructure Library conflict management.
– Who sets the Application Services standards?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Information system tasks and proactively manage Information system risks.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– Who needs to know about Application Services ?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Management Process Critical Criteria:
Look at Management Process adoptions and plan concise Management Process education.
– Is an asset management process(es) in place to inventory and manage this new asset (investment) from a property management perspective, to provide Configuration Management support, and to monitor system performance?
– The slower data transfer rate between a compute cluster and a storage array has been adversely impacting multiple cloud services. which Service Management process helps to mitigate this impact?
– Which cloud Service Management process monitors and reports on allocation and utilization of resources by consumers in order to generate a chargeback report?
– Do you have a clearly defined organizational structure at organization level in order to sustain the risk management process?
– Do you have a process for looking at consequences of cyber incidents that informs your risk management process?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– How do we know that any Application Services analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Is there systematic monitoring and documentation of the management process?
– What vendors make products that address the Application Services needs?
– Which Service Management process helps to mitigate this impact?
– What is the Risk Management Process?
Mathematical programming Critical Criteria:
Survey Mathematical programming engagements and separate what are the business goals Mathematical programming is aiming to achieve.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Application Services leaders?
– What business benefits will Application Services goals deliver if achieved?
Planning and Control Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Planning and Control strategies and intervene in Planning and Control processes and leadership.
– Is Application Services dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Does Application Services appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Public domain Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Public domain visions and correct better engagement with Public domain results.
– Does Application Services create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Will Application Services deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How to Secure Application Services?
Quality Management Critical Criteria:
Infer Quality Management failures and sort Quality Management activities.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Application Services processes of our organization?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Application Services moving forward?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– How can the value of Application Services be defined?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
Service Provider Critical Criteria:
Deduce Service Provider results and differentiate in coordinating Service Provider.
– Encryption helps to secure data that may be stored on a stolen laptop but what about the sensitive data that is sent via e-mail or downloaded to a USB device?
– Are interdependent service providers (for example, fuel suppliers, telecommunications providers, meter data processors) included in risk assessments?
– What is your estimated recovery time for critical systems to restore operations after a cyber attack or other loss/corruption?
– What are some common barriers to exiting transitioning from a cloud computing service provider and how can they be addressed?
– Can the cloud service provider offer the flexibility to provide availability service levels in line with the customers requirements?
– Do you conduct an annual privacy assessment to ensure that you are in compliance with privacy laws and regulations?
– Are procedures in place to escalate any incidents of a breach or possible breach of private information?
– What percentage of revenues is generated from services provided by sub-contractors?
– What should customers be looking for and expect from a good cloud service provider?
– Do you have log/event monitoring solutions in place today?
– Who has authority to commit the applicant to contracts?
– Where is your wireless implemented and how is it used?
– Can Managing Enterprise Security Be Made Easier?
– What percent of time are contracts not used?
– Are contingencies and disasters covered?
– Prioritising waiting lists: How and why?
– Should You Place Security Within IT?
– How safe is your it security?
– Should you hire a hacker?
Software Control and Distribution Critical Criteria:
Investigate Software Control and Distribution strategies and perfect Software Control and Distribution conflict management.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Application Services leader?
– Are we Assessing Application Services and Risk?
– What are our Application Services Processes?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Coach on Software testing issues and improve Software testing service perception.
– What about Application Services Analysis of results?
Supplier Management Critical Criteria:
Confer re Supplier Management results and intervene in Supplier Management processes and leadership.
– Does Application Services analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Use Support Critical Criteria:
Gauge Use Support management and sort Use Support activities.
– Does the tool we use support the ability to configure user content management alerts?
– Are there Application Services Models?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Application Services Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Application Services External links:
Current Students | Enterprise Application Services
AAMVA – Application Services
Application Services Library External links:
Application Services Library – Sensagent.com
http://dictionary.sensagent.com/application services library/en-en
Application Services Library (ASL)
Application Maintenance External links:
Computers For Learning – Application Maintenance Alert
Application Management External links:
Application Management – Admissions Home
Undergraduate Application Management
Application Portfolio Management External links:
[PDF]Application Portfolio Management (APM) – Avolution
Application Support External links:
Application Support Analyst Jobs – Monster.com
Application Support Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Application Support Specialist Jobs, Employment | …
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
wiTECH Diagnostic Application Software Download – …
Best practices External links:
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
ALTA – Best Practices
Best Practices – FNTG
Business process External links:
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM Solutions
Microsoft Dynamics 365 – Modernizing Business Process …
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Capability Maturity Model External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
What is Capability Maturity Model (CMM)? – Definition …
Change Management External links:
Change management experts -Change Management Leaders
Strategy Execution and Change Management Consultants – …
Change management – HBR
Change impact analysis External links:
Change impact analysis for Java programs and applications
[PDF]Change Impact Analysis – gkc.org.uk
[PDF]Change Impact analysis IEC 61508v4F17PSAM12
Configuration Management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
Syslog Server – Network Configuration Management | Kiwi
Continuity Management External links:
12-2 Business Continuity Management Program – USPS
Contract Management External links:
[PDF]Contract Management Manual – September 2016
What is Contract Management? – Business News Daily
Contract Management Software | ContractWorks
Financial Management External links:
31 U.S. Code Subtitle III – FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT | US …
Functional Management External links:
CROSS-FUNCTIONAL MANAGEMENT (CFM) – Building a …
IT Operation Management External links:
IT Operation Management- ServiceNow ITOM – InSource
IT Service Management External links:
ITSM | IT Service Management | ServiceNow
Masters in IT Service Management | JJR Solutions, LLC
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Information Management External links:
Health Information Management (HIM) Education and Training
Property Information Management System
Health Information Management | Ciox Health
Information Technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) | cdotech
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Guide
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Mathematical programming External links:
Amazon.com: Introduction to Mathematical Programming: Operations Research, Vol. 1 (Book & CD-ROM) (9780534359645): Wayne L. …
Mathematical Programming – Decision Modeling
Mathematical Programming – Springer
Planning and Control External links:
Accenture Planning And Control
[PDF]Budgeting and the Planning and Control Process
Public domain External links:
SnappyGoat.com – Free Public Domain Images
Public Domain ~ Free Media for Creative Projects | Pond5
Quality Management External links:
Antelope Valley Air Quality Management District
Clinical Care & Quality Management | HIV/AIDS Bureau
Login – ASCWebQI – Quality Management Tools
Service Provider External links:
Sonic – Internet & Phone Service Provider
Wasatch Peaks Credit Union – Financial Service Provider
Software testing External links:
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
Supplier Management External links:
Supplier Management Software Solutions — ConnXus
Login & Support | ADP Supplier Management Portal
Global Supplier Management – Walmart